A collection of additional drawings of spoon knight that were either changed or not used in the final zine, mostly because they were experiments in using different styles.
Secondary character and antagonist for my collections project.
The great (butter) knife dragon is one of the antagonists of the cutlery kingdom. His tail is designed after a butter knife and despite having a threatening look and western villain eye-brows, he’s generally quite silly, not unlike Spoon Knight himself.
I have begun to think about putting some action behind my character
Some of them have begun to hold the lightheartedness that I would like to feature in future content.
I have decided that the character I will be developing is Spoon Knight, a knight who both uses and has parts of their armor based on spoons.
From my first drawing being a more “realistic knight”, I have developed them to be more stylised. I have drawn inspiration from both medieval knights and the indie video game “Shovel Knight” and have begun to develop their armor itself to be based more on spoons and my collection:
I feel this character would be most suited to either a video game, like “Shovel Knight” or a comic book/zine. Whichever it would be, I would like the content to be fairly lighthearted and humorous, that would probably appeal late-teens more than anyone else.
Above is the first draft for my project brief; I would like to focus the creation and development of a character and create something along the lines of a small art book with sketches and images of a character of my design.
I received the following as feedback on this:
“I would start with your character and see if a short narrative doesn’t suggest itself once you’ve defined who your character is. (Perhaps creating a nemesis will illuminate a narrative?) Then you can decide to loosely portray the narrative in 3 or 4 carefully made images, detailed character spreads, or even go full steam and create a short zine or book.”
I have looked at the following sites for tips on how to go about this and think I have basis on where to start:
I have also done some preliminary sketches of characters and I think have decided on a spoon based knight.
Edit: I have developed my brief further after the above research, the feedback from Nicholas and decided on the character I wish to develop.
Below is the final design layout for my banner.
I have added additional objects to find and have started to decide on numbers as well, as of this design there is:
I feel like this maybe too many things and may end up at least decreasing the number of golden apples.
I have decided that i order to create my imagery, I will scan in textured and patterned paper (see below) I have collected and collate them in Photoshop.
Following a Photoshop session I decided to try and draw out two of my spoons using digital techniques I had learned.
This exercise helped me to simplify the shapes further and experiment with added texture easily, a process I may end up using in my work further.
Below are the different ideas I have had about how to represent trees.
I have decided that the 2 more successful versions are the block and broken block versions, which of these I use will probably depend on the material I decide to use.
I have included a few designs for how little red riding hood and an idea about how the wolf, if I include this, will look.
I would like to keep the designs fairly simple as I want them to be easy to replicate.
We have been tasked with creating illustrated “banners” for the Hay Festival 2017. These will be displayed at the site and are to be based around the idea of trees.
I have started by researching how trees can be translated into illustration.
I decided that I would look at the idea of fairy tales as trees are a common theme in these and will link to the idea of the Hay festival being a literary festival.
I looked specifically at stories that focused on trees and plants at specific points of the story, “Hansel and Gretel” and “Sleeping Beauty”, and eventually decided to focus on “Little Red Riding Hood”. I then drew out a quick plan of how it could look.
After a tutorial it was suggested that instead of focusing showing the progress of the story, that I should try to make the scene interactive and have it so children can look at the image and have to find things hidden in the forest.