Our task was to create a zine, a small book folded from a larger piece of paper, within the theme of libraries. As a pre-lesson task, we were asked to interview a librarian; after which i doodled a caricature of the librarians I interviewed. As one of the things they had into depth about was their favourite books I decided to focus on this. I interviewed a few other people, asking them what their favourite books were and drew small cartoon-like images of them as well.
I decided to play with the photocopier settings to create a background for the zine. By reversing the colours and setting to one colour I created and double sided, block coloured paper to put my imagery on.
I did have some image placement issues. After cutting speech bubbles and writing my text I realised my images were too big for what I had originally intended them for. I decided to crop the images to just the top half of the head as you still got a fair amount of detail but could still read the text.
I decided to add a page of text as the background as I didn’t want to distract the viewer from the main illustration but felt there needed something behind the image as both a secondary tie in to books and library and also to make the background a least a little bit interesting.
After trying a few different text I settled on a page from E H Shepherds “A World of Winnie-the-Pooh: Tigger is Unbounced” as I felt the main target of my illustration was children and Winnie the Pooh is a well known childrens character but also know by a lot of Adults; also the font is large and legible but also non-distracting.
I think the text would go in the lower corner of the front page (see image) (image will be folded along the centre (dragon face on front and children on back))
After success with some similar characters in a previous project, I decided to focus the illustration on books rather than Hereford and sketched a “book dragon” as an idea.
I felt this could become a colourful bright illustration that would be attractive to both children and adults.
I chose to cut each of the dragon individual book scales out of paper I textured using ink. The dragon underbelly and book pages in his tail are from an old dictionary. I added a second child, both of which are also made out of the texture paper and now have to decide on a background as I have gone off the idea of just having sky behind.