After seeing all the print work that other students had put into the exhibition, I thought I would have a try at producing some lino cut prints. Due to the aesthetic created by lino cutting, I decided that I would use medieval style imagery of my characters, Spoon Knight and Knife Dragon, which also fits with the theme of knights.
The designs are based on medieval imagery of knights and dragons. The shapes used are relatively simple due to the forms having to be carved out of wood or, in this case, lino.
Due to other projects, I haven’t had the time to properly print with these lino cuts yet, however I have done a practice print using watered down acrylic paint.
The result hasn’t been unsuccessful. The acrylic being slightly thinner than normal has left some interesting textures, although I think using more professional equipment I will be able to get more definition and more of the detail will be visible.
Our task was to create a photographic flip book; IE make a flip book using photographs. I created a simple background on some paper and photographed the movements of some inanimate objects to make them appear to move… in this case i used a paper dragon and a lucky waving cat.
Although the story told isn’t particularly interesting I still think the flip book has turned out OK and the binding has worked well. It is interesting that I have unused an oriental theme in my book and because of how the imagery was placed in layout the book had to bound on the right meaning that it is read left to right like Japanese books.
I have continued the imagery theme into the cover and binding by using red card and gold thread, colours seen in the creatures in the book.I enjoyed the binding process and will hopefully have more chances to explore this in the future.
I decided to add a page of text as the background as I didn’t want to distract the viewer from the main illustration but felt there needed something behind the image as both a secondary tie in to books and library and also to make the background a least a little bit interesting.
After trying a few different text I settled on a page from E H Shepherds “A World of Winnie-the-Pooh: Tigger is Unbounced” as I felt the main target of my illustration was children and Winnie the Pooh is a well known childrens character but also know by a lot of Adults; also the font is large and legible but also non-distracting.
I think the text would go in the lower corner of the front page (see image) (image will be folded along the centre (dragon face on front and children on back))
After success with some similar characters in a previous project, I decided to focus the illustration on books rather than Hereford and sketched a “book dragon” as an idea.
I felt this could become a colourful bright illustration that would be attractive to both children and adults.
I chose to cut each of the dragon individual book scales out of paper I textured using ink. The dragon underbelly and book pages in his tail are from an old dictionary. I added a second child, both of which are also made out of the texture paper and now have to decide on a background as I have gone off the idea of just having sky behind.