The final cover for this book hasn’t changed much from the previous design however I have changed the drawing of Adrian to give it more “action” and to tie into the plot a bit more; with him dealing with the notion of love.
I have changed the font to a more child-like handwriting as opposed to the sharper adult version from the draft.
I think the cream paper is more effective than the white from the draft as it is less contrasting to the dark background and more aesthetically pleasing.
I liked the idea of having Adrian with his diary from the draft version so I decided to include it as an illustration on the back. I think this works well as I had originally just had the blank page with the ink splotches.
Given more time, I may have redone the pages as some of the ink got smudged as I was blotting it and, particularly on the back, intrudes on some of the imagery.
I created my final image for the cover using a stencilled screen print. I like how bright the colours turned out as previously when I have used opaque ink to print with the colour has been slightly off.
After scanning the print I fixed some of the imperfections; i.e. the dark areas around the nose and the misprint around the neck, and cropped the image to the correct size.
I inserted the text that I had hand drawn and also scanned and positioned it in place.
When I printed this on the Xerox printer the blue was too dark and the spine text was unreadable. To fix this I have added a glow around the text itself and have altered the blue to a more of a dark turquoise which made the text more legible.
After reading full summary of the book, I found I wasn’t particularly inspired by any plot points so I decided to look at some other “journal” based books.
I came up with a few ideas from the plot but then moved onto to the idea of using a journal page to create the image; with handwritten text and perhaps a small illustration in the vein of a child’s doodle.
I decided that I would use lined paper to emmulate a diary page with the addition of ink splotches and small illustrations.
By tearing the pages roughly I can make it appear to torn from a book, and use the addition of a dark background to make the pages stand out.
As I was coming up with some initial ideas, I originally focused a lot on birds however after a group crit I decided to focus more on one of the first ideas I came up with; the two faces and the noose… As I began thinking the idea of birds was slightly overused, and the group had said that this looked much more unique and striking.
I reordered the image so the noose hung down instead of up as I’d had it in the initial sketch s this made more sense and blocked out the colours using a stronger pigment.
I decided to use orange and blue and black and white and these are 2 pairs of contrasting, or conflicting, colours; a key theme of the book.
I had originally planned to use paper cut to create the final image but after a test I wasn’t happy with the way this looks, some I’ve decided to try using screen print.